Wednesday, November 11, 2009

wills and other fun legal stuff

It's hard to think about the end of your life. But suddenly it's important, and necessary, when you have kids involved. Who will take care of them and love them should I die? How do I protect my assets for them to make sure they are cared for properly? It's awful thinking about it, but a must for every parent.

I finally bit the bullet yesterday and called a probate attorney in Minnesota, where we will be living starting in June, to get my affairs in order. I've known I've needed to do this, but was really driven to do it because I watched "Jersey Girl" again and was reminded that something could happen to me while delivering our next baby. I didn't enjoy the conversation, not one bit, but am glad I did it.

There are so many ways to set up your "estate," if you will. And it's all dependent on your circumstances. Are you married? Do you have joint assets? Are you a business owner? So on and so forth. It will make your head spin, but once it's done, you will have peace of mind knowing that your kids are protected.

Obviously the ideal situation is to live nice long lives and you don't have to worry about passing away while your babies are still, well, babies. But the fact of the matter is, freak things happen and it's best to be prepared. Don't sit around worrying about your mortality, but prepare for it so you can live your life.

I guess what I am saying, friends, is get your shit together! It will be the best $500-$1000 you've spent in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.