Tuesday, January 12, 2010

food on the go

As a self-proclaimed "minimal mom," I thought I'd share a few of my easy finds for food on the go for the mommy who doesn't haul a diaper bag everywhere she goes.

Purse Friendly Food:

* Brothers All Natural Freeze Dried Fruit - I buy the individual snack sized packages at Costco and they are a perfect, no mess way to feed my kiddo fruit on the go. The apples are the hit in our house and they are the least messiest and easiest to clean up.

* Pirates Booty Snacks - They can be a little tricky to find, but Henry's Neighborhood Market and Ralphs carry the coveted snack sized bags. I like these because they are easy to take on the go and because they stale so quickly, I don't waste a whole large bag.

* Annie's Naturals Bunny Fruit Snacks - Make sure your kiddo can handle gummies before giving them this snack. If so, this is a fun sweet treat that you'll feel better about because it's organic. Again, a little pricey, but as a once in awhile treat, they are perfect. Even better, they are in individual packages which makes purse travel easy.

* Somersault Snacks - This new product is concocted of seeds and oats and just tastes good. They come in three flavors and are available in individual packaging.

* Goldfish 100 Calorie Packs - Not that we need to watch our kids calories, per say, but these are a perfect size for on the go!

Fast Food Solutions:

* Burger King now carries an alternative to french fries. They are apple fries. Peeled and sliced like fries, it's an easy solution for a kiddos hungry tummy. The apple fries come with a side of caramel, which I have never offered, but some kids may require that extra kick of sweet to get down a healthier snack. On the topic of Burger King, the now have alternatives to the traditional fast food restaurant food, such as Mac n' Cheese (which I'd much rather my kiddo eat than chicken strips or burgers).

* Taco Bell has a "cheese roll up" on their budget menu. It's $.79 and simply a tortilla with melted cheese rolled up. I've had to do this twice in a pinch and it's worked out beautifully. Just be sure to let the roll up cool off before offering it to your kiddo. Also, if you are hungry and trying to keep your calories low, there is a new "diet" menu that isn't too shabby.

* Starbucks carries a new grab and go kids snack line. Fruit purees, fruit leathers and even goodies for families who only eat raw food. Also, in their cold case you can find a cheese, crackers and fruit plate and they often sell bananas.
]
I know, I know... Fast food. I'm not a fan either, but sometimes in a pinch a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. I don't make it a regular habit, but it's nice to know the alternatives are there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.