Saturday, March 12, 2011

my brave girl

Poor Hadley has been struck with some bad health luck. Really, in the grand scheme of things, just some kid stuff. But I've dragged her to the doctors office four times in the last month, three of those in the past two weeks. An ear infection that just wouldn't go away. Then a 102 temperature that just wouldn't go away. And today? Today she was diagnosed with a chalazion (a plugged duct in the eye lid) and has now been referred to an opthomologist. The pediatrician thinks it may need to be removed... Which just makes my stomach hurt to think of the trama that will cause her. But really, in the grand scheme of "growths" this is no big deal.

But back to my girl being brave...

Today she marched right into the doctors office. Happily took her boots off to stand on the scale (this task usually takes some coaxing). Sat down in the exam room and let the nurse take her temperature (another task that usually involves screeching). Let the doctor examine her without as much as a whimper. She knew the drill... I was proud, but also felt terribly about it.

Our first winter in Minnesota has been brutal on us. I went down with this last round of colds and found myself in a pile of tears, pleading to go back to California. Or even Boston. Some place that was either warm or offered family support. I hate that my kids have been sick. I stew about it at night, and nights like last night, I find myself awake all night worrying about chalazions and fevers.

But my girl was so brave. I just can't believe how grown up she is becoming so quickly.

Fingers crossed this ugly thing goes away with hot compresses on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.