Friday, September 11, 2009

9.11.01

Dear Hadley,

Today is a very sad day. A day in history that will not be forgotten. A day that has forever changed the way we live. On this day, terrorists attacked our homeland, killing thousands of people. Planes were hijacked and flown into buildings. Crashed. Killing innocent travelers and civilians who work in the buildings. Following, killing those trying to help the victims. A very sad day indeed.

I remember this day very clearly. Safely on the west coast in my apartment in Los Angeles, I woke to the news reporting on the first plane crash and watched, live, as the second plane tore through the second Trade Tower. Certain I was dreaming or watching a bad movie, even though I didn't have cable and news and cartoons were my only television choices at that our of the morning, I had to call my dad to understand what was happening. I don't think he could even wrap his head around it.

I remember going to work at Fox Studios, where I worked as a Production Assistant on NYPD Blue and the studio being closed down shortly there after. It was frightening as rumors swirled about attacks in Los Angeles. There was no air travel permitted, so the occasional airplane heard overhead, even though I knew it was the government, was frightening. Were those planes going to crash in our neighborhood?

I hope, my love, that you will never experience this kind of frightening act in your lifetime. I hope that human kind can come together and live in peace and harmony, not in fear. Love and respect others, my love, this is the only way to live safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.