Tuesday, May 18, 2010

it goes by fast

Jonathan's mom and sister were in town from Boston to meet Hayden for the first time. And, of course, we had to show them a few sights. I took them down to Laguna Beach to have lunch and stroll through the shops with the girls. It was a lovely, leisurely outing with the babies.

While in a local, rather whimisical, shop, a few people ooohed and awed over the girls... I'm partial, but I could not have agreed more. But one person really stood out to me...

An elderly gentleman came up to me to admire Hayden, who was peacefully sleeping in my arms. He seemed to have a tear in his eye and he just uttered "beautiful." Then he stuttered "I know you're tired, but enjoy it." Then he tried to continue, and apologized as he had suffered a stroke. I finished his sentence for him, "It goes by fast." He nodded and smiled.

I looked over at Hadley who was happily being pushed in her stroller by Grandma and I realized that it was just a blink a go that she was wrapped in a blanket in my arms. And now here she is, walking and talking, with opinions and own interests that are all her very own.

It certainly does go fast.

So, when I'm up at 1:30 a.m., as I am most mornings, nursing Hayden and subsequently bouncing her to sleep on the exercise ball, struggling to keep my eyes open, I must remember that this time goes fast. And these moments, at 1:30 a.m., are special times that I was able to spend with my daughters as they nursed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.