Wednesday, June 9, 2010

topless thursday: memories

I really didn't know how nursing would go for me. I almost threw in the towel with Hadley, especially after coming down with a wicked case of mastitis. Not to mention my cracked, bleeding nipples. It was rough. I'm not going to lie.

Then week three rolled around. I bought a nursing wrap. Nursed in public successfully. And we were off and running. And it was wonderful. Not only convenient (no need to tote a bottle), but when I'd look down and see her little eyes looking back at me. Or the day she put her hands in my hair as I was nursing her... Those were the moments that made the excruciating mastitis pain and bleeding nipples worth it all. Those are memories of her baby years I will hold in my heart always.

And now with Hayden I am creating the same memories. Things are not as convenient with her because I just don't have the time it takes to nurse her 100% of the time, so the bottle is in tow. But when I do nurse and she looks back at me, I fall in love over and over again. I'm creating memories with her too.

So, needless to say, nursing ended up being a wonderful, memorable thing for me. One I will miss, bittersweetly, once Hayden is done. But I am glad I was able to have those moments with both of my girls.

New mamma's out there... Hang in there. Breastfeeding can be tough. But all worth it in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.