Monday, February 27, 2012

we are officially a cribless house

That's right... My littlest girl is no longer sleeping in a crib but in her very own big girl bed!

Back in September when she was 18 months old, I shipped our beautiful Stokke Crib to my brand-spankin'-new, sweet nephew. I honestly thought she would be climbing out soon, much like her sister did at 18 months. But instead I learned that she actually LIKED her crib, unlike her sister. So, I set-up our pack and play, bought a matress and made it cozy. She's been quite content and will at times look to get in it without our telling her it's time to lay down in it.

Recently, J and I read an article about the differences between French parenting vs. American parenting. Great article, I recommend reading it... Anyway, part of what they talked about is the French are clear about their children's place. Sure, they teach, encourage and love their children, but they also draw lines. It's important that children know how to entertain themselves and that adults have "adult time".

Since Hadley was two nap-time has been "quiet time" because she NEVER napped, and bedtime was sort of self directed. She goes into her room at 7 p.m. We read some books, snuggle, talk and then she does her own thing quietly and puts herself in bed. We sneak in around 8 p.m. and shut off her lights and make sure she is tucked in. This system has always worked and we get our adult time and she has her alone time to do her thing.

But Hayden, who loves her crib, hasn't been able to enjoy this option. After several nights of her crying for 30 minutes before she falls asleep, waking several times in the night, and up for the morning around 5 a.m., we decided a change needed to happen. I don't know if it's that she is ready for some freedom in her bedroom or the pack and play is no longer comfortable, but something needed to happen.

Last Thursday I ran out to Ikea and picked up the same bed her sister has. No toddler beds here. We went straight for the twin sizes. I brought it home, J put her pack and play away and assembled her new bed. We read books on her bed, let the girls play for hours on her bed. The night came and I laid down with her while she nodded off... After that, not a peep until 6:45 a.m.

The following day I was watching a friend's children (we do a weekly babysitting swap) and Hayden was getting grumpy. I was apprehensive as to how putting her down for a nap, in a new non-confined bed with other kids here would go. And after a few minutes of fuss, down she went. Same with that evening.

So, we are officially a cribless house. Next will be diapers, which will likely blow my mind. All are bittersweet as my babies grow up into little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.