Wednesday, March 10, 2010

stuff people do with placentas

NOTE: I'm not passing judgement on what people choose to do with their placentas, I simply find it interesting.

Placentas. You know, that mass that nourishes your unborn for 40 weeks. It's a vital thing in pregnancies. Actually, you can't have a viable pregnancy without a placenta. And sometimes placentas can cause troubles during pregnancy. It can be too small. It can grow over the cervix making placenta previa a real issue. Placentas, to say the least, are the most important thing in growing a baby.

As I started the journey down Baby Making Road two years a go I've heard a lot about what people, both from our culture and different cultures, do with their placentas after their baby is born. And I am fascinated! Albeit, I refused to even take a peek at mine in the hospital, I am still intrigued by the methods behind the actions.

Some South American cultures bury their placentas with objects that will influence their child's life. For example, baby boy's placentas might be buried with an ax or a pick, while a little girl's placenta may be buried with a loom or a hoe.

In rural Peru, people bury their placentas deep into the earth, so far in that people nor animals can find it. Their theory is that this is a sort of "security" for the baby. They believe that the animals and other people will become jealous of the baby and, in turn, seek to harm it.

In Egypt, ancient Pharohs would put their baby's placentas into a special box to keep them from harm.

Vietnamese medicine uses placentas to combat sterility and senility.

The Indian people believe that a placenta can be used to help a childless woman conceive and birth a healthy baby.

The Chinese believe that cooking the placenta in broth and consuming drastically improves the mother's milk.

Believe it or not, placenta can be found in many cosmetics and medicines in Western countries, too. And here in the US many states will let parents do what they wish with their baby's placenta (some states do regulate this).

I remember after I had Hadley I was asked if I wanted to keep my placenta. I was surprised to be asked this question. And I graciously declined. I'm someone who is just fine not even seeing it. So personally, I am happy to let the hospital do with it what they will, but am certainly open to what others are doing with theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my 'lil ole blog! I love comments and would love to read yours.